Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pullen Park: A Stay-At-Home Mom's DREAM!


If you are the mom of a toddler or preschooler in the Raleigh area and have not been to Pullen Park, don't put it off any longer. This place is truly wonderful. When I first heard "park," I cringed. I was NOT about to drive into Raleigh from Holly Springs for a park. There are parks ALL over Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and Apex.

NOPE, I just wasn't going to do it. But, a new friend of mine wanted to go with her daughter. Since I think she's pretty fabulous, I agreed.

We walked up to the gate and my daughters squeeled with delight as the train horn blasted "CHOO CHOO!" right in front of them. I knew I was going to love it at that moment.

I will warn you, this place is not entirely free. It can be. But you won't want it to be. There are swings (including a tire swing, which reminds me of being a kid in the midwest), jungle gyms, sandboxes (huge sandboxes), music stations, mist sprayers for the extra warm days, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. All that is free. But the train, the carousel and the boat rides all cost $1 per rider (including parents and everyone over 1 year). IT'S WORTH IT. I never spend more than $10 as the rides are pretty lengthy for the money and there is so much to do.

Pullen Park is located off of Western Boulevard in Raleigh. There is a carousel, train, a little boat ride (which I find boring but my 2-year-old absolutely loves), swings, a pond with ducks, picnic areas, shelters, food vendors, huge sandboxes, tons of preschoolers and toddlers, trails for walking & the list goes on. I love this place and try to go once a week.


HIGHLIGHTS: The view, the varity of activities available, the picnic areas & shelters
LOW LIGHTS: Parking, VERY busy on the weekends
COST: Entry is Free as well as parking, Amusements are $1 per person over age 1 (that includes ALL riding parents/grandparents/etc)
GAS: I've never calculated this. I will update later but will say TOTALLY WORTH it either way

ADDRESS:
520 Ashe Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27606

HOURS (see website for more details)

DayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Open10:00am10:00am10:00am10:00am10:00am10:00am10:00am
Close9:00pm9:00pm9:00pm9:00pm9:00pm9:00pm9:00pm




Later Crocodile

No comments:

Post a Comment