Thursday, September 27, 2012

Not Just a Walk in The Park!

I slugged my way over to Apex Community Park for a fun morning, and quite a surprise I might add, with Stroller Strides.

This is kind of a first for me, reviewing an actual company rather than a park/farm/museum/activity. Stroller Strides is a workout group for mommies of children 6 weeks to 4 years old (and dads, too). I thought it was just going to be a walk in the park - literally and figuratively. IT WAS NOT! It was so fun. It was interval exercises, some strength, conditioning, aerobic, mixed in with a walk/run while the kids watch and take in the sights from their strollers. In fact, I have a bad back problem that keeps me from doing any impact workouts at all (doctors and physical therapist's orders). There were a lot of things I couldn't do, unfortunately. But I don't think the workouts were ridiculously strenuous or requiring top-level fitness either. It was the kind of class that you get out of it what you put into it - it works you as hard as you work it.

Let me just say, if it were not for my back problem, this would have been perfect for me! I loved it. It was a chance to socialize with other moms, who were very cool by the way. And it was a great way to think outside the box on my workouts. You can do it up to six days a week, too, including Saturdays.

The cost is $55/month for unlimited attendance at a number of different parks and locations, including Apex Community Park, Pullen Park, Crowder Park, North Hills Mall and more. Most urgently, though, is this week (Sept. 24-29) is free. Click here if you want to try it for locations and times.

Also, if you decide you want to join, Stroller Strides is offering 15% off the first three months if you mention this blog (The Not-So Stay-At-Home Mommy or www.wheretogowithyourkids.com)
Jennifer Kedrowski, who was my instructor, said most moms do a monthly unlimited membership option, $55/month plus one-time registration fee but some also do a 10-class pass that lasts three months for $110, which is more of a drop-in style membership.


HIGHLIGHTS: Really fun way to work out with your young kids, it's not just a stroller walk, you get to check out different parks and work out at the same time, meeting new moms and kids.
LOW LIGHTS: My little one (20 months) doesn't like sitting in the stroller very long unless she's moving, so it was a little hairy when we'd stop to do the interval work.
COST:$55/monthly or $110 for 10 sessions over three months. (Mention this blog for a 15% off discount for the first three months)

For the record, this is NOT an advertisement, and I received no money or special treatment to write this blog. As this is my first real review of a "mommy group" I thought you should know!

No comments:

Post a Comment