Monday, September 21, 2015

Harold Ritter Park in Cary - What a Gem! Nothing Special at First Glance …


NOTE! I usually have photos of the parks, but alas I wrote this blog more than a year ago and since then my phone has had to be replaced (as well as my photos). This is a great park, though, so I wouldn't want you to miss out on it because I'm a slacker. P.S. Bummer that there are no pics of the fire fighters. ;) 



Yup, Harold D. Ritter Park was a great as advertised. When I pulled up I wasn't so sure though. Didn't look outstanding, although it did look nice, updated and clean -- as per usual in Cary. However, we got an incredible treat this morning on my first adventure of the spring.

There were two firetrucks and the firemen were practicing on the equipment with full gear on! I wouldn't include too much of this in my blog about the park if it were just a 1-time occurrence, but the firefighter I spoke with said they practice there every so often and sometimes just brought the trucks in for the kids to explore and ask questions. It was awesome. I don't know who was more "geeked out" me or the kids. OK, it was me.

Anyway, the rest of the morning the girls played for extended periods on the swings (big kid and baby swings), in the large sandbox, on the slides, balance steps, and this great little horizontal-ish wheel I've seen before but never seen so popular with the kids. It was amazing. My buddy, Amanda, and I just sat back and watched our kids play for hours. It was worth getting rained on periodically and was a bit chilly in the a.m. The trees in the area (Lochmere neighborhood) are mature and provide a canopy from the sun, which in the summer comes in pretty handy.

We will go again and again. Turns out, however, it is not much of a secret. When we arrived it was nearly empty. When we left there were at least a hundred kids and parents. Still, it's a big park and didn't seemed overly crowded and all the moms were pretty friendly.

Harold D. Ritter Park
301 Lockmere Dr West
Cary

HIGHLIGHTS: Fantastic turf (not grass) that you can play in just after it rains - still gets wet but not muddy, great little sidewalks for kids to run around, playground equipment for most sizes and lots of options.
LOW LIGHTS: It gets a little crowded at times and the potties are a bit of a hike from the playground.
COST: Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment